The Appearance of Christ at the Cenacle (Apparition du Christ au cénacle)
Christ appears to his followers at the cenacle, the upper room where they had shared the Last Supper. Exposing his glowing wounds, Jesus reveals himself to them—to their delight and wonder—while the servants who tend the disciples peer through the curtains in astonishment.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 5 1/2 x 10 1/4 in. (14 x 26 cm) Sheet: 5 1/2 x 10 1/4 in. (14 x 26 cm) Frame: 15 x 20 x 1 1/2 in. (38.1 x 50.8 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed top left: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.340
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). The Appearance of Christ at the Cenacle (Apparition du Christ au cénacle), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 5 1/2 x 10 1/4 in. (14 x 26 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.340
- Record Completeness: Best (88%)