Tiffany Glass and Lamps at The Brooklyn Museum, an exhibition of seven lamps and approximately 30 glass vases by Tiffany Studios, New York, will open at The Brooklyn Museum February 16. It will be on view in the Museum’s Changing Exhibition Gallery, located on the fourth floor, through June 25, 1990.
The innovative colored glass lamps and objects of Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) are among the foremost accomplishments in American decorative arts. Using ancient Roman and Near Eastern glass as his inspiration, Tiffany reinvigorated glasssmaking with a return to handcraftsmanship that captured the imagination of early twentieth-century America and continues to excite collectors today.
The works in the exhibition, all drawn from the Museum’s permanent collection, include a group of vases owned by René de Quélin, an interior design manager at Tiffany Studios and a personal friend of Tiffany. Other highlights include a favrile glass vase (1896-1920), a green glass vase with coral striations (circa 1900)[,] and an art nouveau table lamp designed by Clara Driscoll (1900-20).
This exhibition was organized by Barry Harwood, Associate Curator of Decorative Arts, and continues the Decorative Arts Department program to make accessible parts of the permanent collection not often seen by the public.
Brooklyn Museum Archives. Records of the Department of Public Information. Press releases, 1989 - 1994. 01-03/1990, 018.