In this paid internship, New York City LGBTQ+ youth ages 14–19 explore gender and sexuality in art through an activist lens, and work collaboratively to organize programs for other LGBTQ+ youth.
Teen staff in InterseXtions:
- Learn about LGBTQ+ social movements and artists working today
- Meet educators, artists, and curators to learn about art and our collections
- Share readings and analyze issues of representation in art and media
- Discuss topics such as feminism, sexuality, and social justice to make connections between art and our world
- Make art expressing their own interpretation of those topics
- Dream up, organize, and promote a free, large-scale event for LGBTQ+ teens and their allies
- Communicate with community organizations and emerging artists and performers
- Build affirming, joyful community spaces for other LGBTQ+ youth
- Strengthen their communication, collaboration, critical thinking, advocacy, and media literacy skills, and develop their sense of time management and responsibility
Get paid $15 per hour. Second-year InterseXtions members serve as leaders in the program and are paid $16 per hour. Work up to 75 hours for the year! Metrocards will be provided to support in-person meetings.
This program is open to all NYC teens, ages 14–19, who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, two-spirit, nonbinary, gender nonconforming, questioning, queer, intersex, and/or asexual. The program will take place November 2021 through June 2022. Most program meetings will be in person, with some virtual gatherings throughout the year. Interviews will be conducted virtually.
All InterseXtions members must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
- Tuesdays: Weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Fridays and weekends: Occasional teen staff events, field trips, and activities, to be determined
How to apply:
- Applications are now closed. Check back in June for information about the 2022–23 program year.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.
Want to perform at LGBTQ+ Teen Night? Send us a proposal.